Pages

Saturday 28 June 2008

GOLDEN OLDIES



When one travels by cruise ship, one comes to accept the fact that a large percentage of passengers will be senior citizens. This comes with certain advantages. It feels good to walk into a room and be one of the youngest (for a change). To sit down at the bar and be asked, "How are you young lady?"

However, the bad outweighs the good by far. Now don't get me wrong, many of the seniors are great fun but the majority think they own the place.

The lunch hooter sounds and they're off. These docile men and ladies become monsters. They charge off down the corridors, brandishing their walking sticks and woe be tide anyone who gets in their way.

And have you seen them eat? They consume plate after plate of meals and they sure can pack away those deserts.

An hour after lunch, the ship is deserted while they nap. Ah, heaven - no shouting, no complaining about EVERYTHING, just peace and quiet.

Afternoon tea comes along and they are lined up outside the dining hall waiting for their next feed. It's been all of an hour since they last ate. Where the hell do they put it all?

The meal is often followed by bingo. I've been too scared to venture into this sacred place, otherwise know as The Bingo Hall. I've seen them in there with their huge marker pens, banging away at their numbered pads. I have a feeling if someone my age shouted out, "Bingo!", they'd attacked me with thier walking sticks.

It's not all bad though. The early evening comes around, their bellies full, they head to the dance floor. Arms entwined, they glide around the floor, (walkers and sticks forgotten), looking into each others eyes and remembering why they fell in love all those years ago.

Aww, a wonderful sight to behold. It's hard to imagine these graceful gentlemen and ladies are the same people who will be fighting over the last sausage come breakfast time.

18 comments:

  1. Food ... IT's all they've got in this late stage of their lives. Can you blame them. Food is their friend, lover, confidante.

    Geez KB. You're only a few years off. Don't be so judgmental.

    (LOL)

    :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, you're gonna pay for that last comment girl.

    LMAO

    ReplyDelete
  3. it's funny how either the youth or the old thing the whole world owes them something..especially when it comes to food. why do people get crotchety in their old age? is this what we have to look forward to? i'm almost 42, and i always think 'please don't make me be a senior w a stinking attitude' LOL as far as bingo is concerned, been there, done that. try being in your 20's in a room full of old people. i did used to win a lot though. i like when they all go 'ahhhhhhh' when someone yells bingo and they don't really have a bingo lol i did have some good times and met some nice people. i haven't been played bingo in about 4 years. if i have, it was just once or twice. but my mind is foggy. LOL ok...i'm done rambling about nothing. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ciara - Let's sneak into the bingo hall, yell BINGO and do a runner. Least they won't be able to catch us.

    LOL

    ReplyDelete
  5. that would be mean, but freaking hilariously...i say let's do! lol :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Right. You've done it now. You will be hearing from my solicitor! AND your friends will!
    PS. Welcome home!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think he means you Morgy *points*

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've spent my life being kind and considerate, but when I'm awarded my Zimmer frame and ear trumpet WATCH OUT! No more Mister Nice Guy!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Dickiebo ... You talkin' to me?!?

    Keith -- I think ear trumpets are sexy.

    ReplyDelete
  10. 'About' not 'to'!
    KB; Are you also 1 mm too small? I am!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Karen, what an excellent story teller you are!! OMG the imagery of this piece alone took me on your adventure lol...

    Now I told you though not to be be talking about me, all this comes with age and our rights of gray hair to stampede the buffet tables and fill our gullets to the brim :) thank goodness we reside to our cabins once the feeding frenzy is through our you'd be exposed to bouts of green fog emissions :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. you left ya walking stick at home then?

    They say the bar took a hammering as well thanks to one lady......hmmmm

    ReplyDelete
  13. You people crack me up...in a good way xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  14. I am deeply touched by your attention to my generation.
    There is nothing wrong with a healthy appetite it's just that which we hunger for changes as we age.

    ReplyDelete
  15. LMAO Toadee, I know how old you are!

    ReplyDelete
  16. ` KB, I think you've gone too far! Though I did so first....

    ReplyDelete
  17. SEE - Wouldn't expect anything less from you

    ReplyDelete