Pages

Sunday 10 October 2010

Bathurst 2010

The Bathurst 1000km Classic is a yearly car race which is held at Mount Panorma, NSW, Australia.  The 62 drivers,  race around 161 laps in their Ford or Holden cars.




I know several men and a few ladies who LOVE watching this race. I don't get it! Firstly, how is driving a car a sport? I'm sitting here watching cars go round and round a circuit, doesn't appear to be much physical activity involved. There was an accident earlier, which altered the picture I was seeing, every now and then we see a driver cam (in case we haven't seen someone driving before), the car's bits and pieces are tweaked in the pit stop and then it's back to going round and round and round and round!

Whitesnake is sitting quietly next to me, drinking his beer, totally mesmerised by the action. I wonder if he would snap out of it if I ran around the house naked? Hehe! I have my own theory as to why so many men love watching motor 'sports'. They can sit in front of the telly all afternoon, drinking beer. They know that the womenfolk will try to sit through a few laps (because we all wanna love the things our man loves) before they lose interest. The womenfolk will probably get up and move to another part of the house to do their own thing. Leaving the men in front of the telly, for the rest of the afternoon with NO talking or interruptions. Man cave heaven!

Also, the race is between teams from Holden and Ford. Most Kiwi/Aussie blokes (when discussing cars and racing), will say they are either a Holden or Ford man. They will mock men from the other side with terms like barely Holdin (Holden) together and Fix Or Repair Daily (Ford). I'm thinking that watching Bathurst to them is all about which team wins.  When their team is going well they say - WE'RE doing really well. When the team is losing they say - THEY suck.  Basically, if THEIR team wins, it's another boast to the male ego and they can happily return to mocking the other side.

Righto, that's my opinion on the subject. I'm interested to hear the Male perspective so I'm gonna ask Whitesnake a few questions and see if I can gain some insight.

KB - What makes car racing a sport?

WS - Competitiveness.

KB - Are you a Holden or a Ford man?

WS - Holden, I used to work for General Motors Holden

KB - What comes to mind when you think of a Ford man?

WS - Alan Moffatt (WS was originally a Ford man but switched to the other side whilst working for Holden)

KB - What keeps you glued to the screen lap after lap?

WS - Anything could happen which could change the whole context of the race.

KB - If I stripped off and ran about the house naked during the final lap, would you notice?

WS - YES!

Think we'll leave it there, LOL!




Later
Love KB
xxx


picture source

5 comments:

  1. We both LOL'd at your comment!

    ReplyDelete
  2. haha. so you going to test your theory...i cant stand watching it on tv...now going is a different story...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ah at least you can get his eyes of the track. I worked indirectly for GM as well I worked in a Opel garage
    Opel is the dutch name for Holden

    ReplyDelete
  4. We call Fords "Found On Road Dead!"

    ReplyDelete
  5. Brian - not tellin :)

    Marja - I learned something new about you.

    Mama - haven't heard that one before.

    ReplyDelete