Pages

Friday 22 October 2010

Friday Flash 55 - KB, The Younger Years



Here's my contribution to FF55, hosted by the cheeky Mr G-Man.



After years of getting out of her seat to read the blackboard
and being stuck in remedial reading, she finally rose toward the top of the class.

Mummy the world looks so different.

How so sweetheart?

See that tree over there?

Before it looked like one big leaf.
Now I can see ALL the leaves.



I've worn glasses and later on contact lenses since I was about eight. I had trouble with my school work when I first started school. I didn't realise I couldn't see properly, I thought what I saw was normal. You'd think the teachers would notice I always plonked myself down at the front of the class and I'd still have to get our of my seat to read the board on a regular basis.

One day, we had our eyes tested at school. The optometrist asked me to read down the eye chart as far as I could and was shocked when I could barely see the first letter. He couldn't believe I'd managed so long without seeing properly. I must have had bad eyesight for a long time because I didn't realise how bad my vision was until it was corrected. The world suddenly was defined and didn't have blurry edges.

Have a great day all
Love KB
xxx

18 comments:

  1. So glad they didn't wait a minute longer to give you the gift of clear vision.

    That's gotta be a confidence-booster, realizing that it really wasn't your reading skills all along... just needed glasses. Had a similar experience as a child and made sure to have my daughter's eyes checked when she went to her first year of school.

    ReplyDelete
  2. bet that made all the difference in the world...wow. i can just imagine seeing the world for the first time as it was...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cheeky Indeed.....
    And I've never seen you with glasses!!Loved your story Karen.
    Excellent 55 My Dear...
    Thanks for playing, and thank You for your fantastic support of Friday 55..You Rock Baby!
    Have a Kick Ass Week-End....G

    ReplyDelete
  4. i wondered how long my son didn't see well too because we discovered his eyes were quite bad when he was screened to enter school. i never imagined because he enjoyed drawing so much and added quite a bit of detail. glad to know you got set right to see well too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I"m so glad they found and fixed the problem. I had a similar experience--they discovered I was legally blind in one eye when they did school screening.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's wonderful that it was caught and you could really be there in your world. I have a lazy eye. When I was a kid, I used to memorize the eye chart while I waited my turn so I could recite it with either eye.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks everyone.

    G - that's because I wear my contacts most of the time :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I confess, when I was 8, I wanted glasses to badly that I used to stare at the sun because I was warned it'd make me go blind.
    When I was 18, I didn't realize I needed glasses until I was driving and read the street signs by the length of the white blur. I finally got glasses!
    I can relate to the whole new world opening up once you can see. Just like you said, each leaf was a beautiful and amazing thing when before the tree was a mass.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I see your point here babe..........xxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  10. That would have opened up the world.
    Nice one.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ha ha! I sometimes wish there were glasses for perspective to circumvent the occasional tunnel vision.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm near-sighted and I first got glasses in the 2nd grade.

    I can still remember the day I slipped them on at the optometrist... wow! I could actually see across the street! It was like suddenly having telephoto vision! (I never knew that was just 'normal' vision)

    Thanks for the trip down memory lane~

    ReplyDelete
  13. It's amazing what you can get used to and assume is normal, isn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  14. I can't imagine what that must have been like. At 66, I now need glasses for distance and I am so glad to have them. Up close, my vision is still good. My brother, however, has worn glasses his entire life. At 64, he recently had a detached retina which was so scary. All resolved well and he still has vision in that eye.

    ReplyDelete
  15. My daughter had the same issue. She has worn glasses since second grade. Thick ones at that. Great 55.
    My 55 is HERE .

    ReplyDelete
  16. It is nice to be able to see the leaves in trees when you first get glasses.
    Nice 55. I have not written one in a long time.

    ReplyDelete
  17. what cute pictures!

    I've never worn glasses until a year ago for reading.

    Good eyesight is an awesome thing, I'm grateful for mine.

    xo

    ReplyDelete
  18. Thanks all for stopping by.

    WS you do make me giggle xxxx

    ReplyDelete