Pages

Sunday 22 July 2007

Visit to London

Visiting London had it's ups and downs for me.

PHOTOS NO LONGER AVAILABLE


Last time I was in the UK, I spent six weeks with my Gran. She'd been ill for a while so I knew it would probably be the last time we would be together. *sigh*. She passed away last year. It was difficult being back and knowing I wouldn't see her. She practically raised me and meant the world to me.



We were there for only three days which meant I didn't have a chance to catch up with friends and family. The main purpose for my visit was to keep Grace company as she didn't want to travel the distance on her own. We spent the few days we had there with her and her boyfriend. Her fella has been living there for six months and appears quite settled.




Being in London was scary. We arrived the day after the bomb scare. Piccadilly was cordoned off (two subway stops from where we were staying), there were policemen everywhere, a continuous drone from a helicopter and sirens blaring constantly. I was relieved to get out of there.



Hubby was flying the plane from London to Hong Kong so I was left on my own to check in at the airport. I hate Heathrow airport...every time I go there something goes wrong!! The day I left UK was no exception. I decided to use my staff travel ticket on this trip, which means I have to be on stand by. I waited for half and hour to check in, only to be told the flight was full and I should come back in half an hour.

There I was, sitting on my suitcase, reading my book , minding my own business. Two policemen came running through the departure lounge, yelling and screaming for us to evacuate immediately and stay away from the windows. I thought to myself, "Well, Karen, this is just bloody typical!". Grabbed my suitcase, and joined the crowds of people running through the airport.

We were evacuated for about an hour. There were a few people freaking out a bit but I was reasonably calm. Perving at the hot men in uniform must have distracted me.....LOL.

Love KB

9 comments:

  1. Today on my daily photo Blog about the Town of Château-Gontier (France) my subject is about humanism.
    It is high time that humanism is with dimensions in Wall Street and on the other stock exchange places in the world.
    Come and visit my photo blog.
    Make that our indifference does not make us to them next victims.
    Relay this fight in your own blog.
    In advance thank you for them.
    http://chateau-gontier-daily-photo.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope to visit London before I shed my skin!

    ~nice account~

    ReplyDelete
  3. Karen, why do attract so many random posters in your blog? hehe.

    I am, of corse heartbroken that you were in the UK and I didn't get chance to meet you (especially as I will be near Heathrow tommorrow).

    I am convinced that you could walk through the very fires of hell and cope as long as there were some hot men in uniforms around *snigger*

    ReplyDelete
  4. Karen; you'll have to let your admiring public know your touring dates in future!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'll meet you there CD!!

    Must be my charm Toadee. I have anotehr story about uniforms today...hehe. I'll post later.

    My admiring public dickiebo?

    It wasn't his back I fancied jumping on Missy. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sure. That's us. Or should I say, we are them. Nah, them's us.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nice article and beautiful pictures. I live not far from London but I never visited this place; I surely have to do that in the future

    Tip : promote your blog in http://www.piecelibrary.com/ by writing an article there and make a link to your blog in the bylink. Your blog will attract more visitors.

    ReplyDelete