Pages

Wednesday 11 July 2007

My First Visit To Hong Kong


Hong Kong took me by surprise. I was expecting a sea of high rise buildings as far as the eye could see. This wasn’t the case. We stayed in Wan Chai which is surrounded by a busy harbour and picturesque mountains.


View From hotel

PHOTOS NO LONGER AVAILABLE


Hotel Pool


Grace and I slept well on the plane journey over. Hubby not so well as he was flying the plane, hehe!!!Hubby suggested we head out straight away to acclimatise to Hong Kong time.
The first thing I noticed outside was the smell. I now refer to the place as Hong Pong. And of course, coming from little ole New Zealand - I’ve never seen so many people in my life.
Here are some pics of places we visited during the day.

View of Wan Chai from ferry


Grace and hubby having lunch at Ned Kelly's bar


Grace having a beer at the English pub - hmmm, I see a theme here..hehe


Deep Water Bay - from the bus on our way to Stanley market


More to be updated later. The power has been on and off all day today in Auckland so I'll update when I can.....arggggg

Love KB

10 comments:

  1. Not at all what I'd expect to see in pics of Honkers. Mind you, the beer looks pretty ok! Can't wait for the next batch

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow...I am surprised also. I thought the same as you KB all high rises and neon. Thanks for educating me...

    ~Darlin~

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy to share the pics with you. I'll post more soon.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Must say it's raaather different to my days there in 1956. I was stationed in Victoria Barracks, on the edge of Wanchai - most of which was Out-of-Bounds to servicemen. Did 3 years there in the RMP. Best years of my life. But you are dead right about the smell!!! Don't know whether they still do it, but everybody put out a bucket at night-time to be collected and disposed of at sea - they had virtually no toilets then!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey dickiebo,

    Your adventures in Hong Kong would make an interesting blog entry.

    ReplyDelete
  6. kb; watch this space!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I take it you mean... watch your space D. Will do.

    ReplyDelete
  8. It sure does sound like you guys had a great trip.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yeah, I hope to head back soon.

    ReplyDelete