Pages

Friday 28 November 2008

FLASH 55 - MISUNDERSTOOD

I discover a letter from days gone by. Images of Grandad flash before me - marathons, bible readings, games of chess, crossword puzzles, the fear of a nudge from his stick.

Tears flow as I realise why he kept many secrets from me. Stories of parachute jumps, friends lost, the cruelty of war.

A man misunderstood.

BACKGROUND INFO

A copy of a letter to a publisher was given to me after my Grandfather's death.
He was asked to submit to a book regarding his experiences during the War. Unfortunately, the family members I have spoken to have no idea if the letter was ever sent. I hope Grandad won't mind me sharing the letter with you. I would rather post it here than leave it sitting in a draw somewhere. It's rather long and hard to read in places so I'll begin typing it up now and post in a couple of days.

Love you Grandad. I wish I had know you better.
xxxxxxxxxx


Flash Fiction - Every Friday, I compose a short story of 55 words - no more, no less. If you would like to join in the fun and games... post your story and report to the boss - If you're not interested in contributing a story, feel free to read the other entries. I'm sure any comments you have would be appreciated.

Happy reading and writing!
Love
KB

7 comments:

  1. i can't wait to see the letter, kb...great 55 :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well Done Karen!!!
    Very touching and thought provoking as you usually are. Thanks for visiting, thanks for playing, and have a Great Week-End!
    Galen

    ReplyDelete
  3. so often we make judgements about people or form opinions without really knowing 'who' they are. A very though provoking piece Karen, the letter sounds really interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Its so sad when things like that happen. & they are not even there to apologize to...

    Great 55ve Karen

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely tribute to your grandfather. Can you get it published now? I self published my grandmother's biography, written by my father to fulfil his dream and the promise he made to her. It was a great feeling, perhaps you could do the sam?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks everyone.

    Ake - That's a great idea.

    ReplyDelete