Pages

Thursday 18 September 2008

COCO - THE ALARM SPANIEL

For those of you who don't already know, I refer to my dog as the alarm spaniel. It's great having an alarm spaniel around; any time a visitor or a cat comes near...the barking begins. Unfortunately, it takes a while for her to respond to the off button, but I'm working on it.

At around 7.30 last night, the alarm spaniel went off. I imagined it was a cat and wasn't concerned until I heard footsteps coming to my door. Eek.

The outside lights didn't activate, (hubby had turned them off because the cat kept setting them off). So there I am, sitting on my own, pitched black outside with someone knocking at my door.

I opened a window because I knew if I went to the door, Coco would have a few words with this stranger . There was a man there who introduced himself and asked if he could come in for a few minutes for a chat.

He looked harmless enough and for a moment, I considered letting him in. I didn't want to say - My husband is away so could you come back another day? I managed to come up with, 'Now's not convenient, could you come back another time?' He replied, 'Sure, how about tomorrow night?' I didn't know how to respond. If he was dodgy he would either know I was home alone or my house would be unattended the next evening. I asked him if he could come back next week instead and left it at that.

Makes me wonder why people in this day an age go door knocking. Don't they realise they are putting themselves at risk entering strangers houses? Maybe he felt safe being a man. Silly man if you ask me. I realise he didn't know I was home alone but don't people think about these things? Home invasion if rife. I don't usually have visitors arriving on my doorstep, by foot, unannounced. He scared me half to death.

Which reminds me. Today, I passed a hitchhiker on my way to the shops. I felt sorry for him and almost stopped. He was still there when I headed home. I think hitchhikers must be mad. Talk about making yourself an easy target.

The moral to this story...if you are going to pay me a visit in the evening, make sure you phone first or you may have to deal with the alarm spaniel.


Oh dear, I think I've been watching too many horror movies again. Wonder if there are any romance movies on tonight...

4 comments:

  1. Hello, I like this blog.
    Sorry not write more, but my English is not good.
    A hug from Portugal

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good that you didn't let him in. Which stranger comes along at night? Good you got a dog to protect you

    ReplyDelete
  3. excuse me my ignorance but is it normal in NZ to ask to come in for a chat at any time let alone after dark. Next time feed him to Coco.

    I admit that I have ocassionally picked up hitch hikers believing that I can handle most situations until it was pointed out that I was being rather stupid as i had little defence if a female accused me of assault.....sad when there is no trust any more *sigh*

    ReplyDelete
  4. Missy - Dickiebo secretly loves my Coco. How could he not?
    Yes, I have heard the G-Man has a laptop and is so attached to it, he is posting from the loo. Here's hoping he doesn't have webcam.

    Marja - I'm glad I'm not the only one who thinks it is strange.

    Toadee - It's all very sad for sure. I was silly enough to watch a programme about two women who were abducted and murdered. I definately will NOT be opening the door now. Yikes!

    ReplyDelete