Pages

Saturday 8 November 2008

ELECTION DAY

This week's prompt from Sunday Scribblings is CHANGE.

It's Election Day in New Zealand. Our current Prime Minister - Helen Clark, has been in charge for 9 years and I believe a CHANGE is well overdue.

As I ponder my choices today I see the usual suspects: Labour, National, Alliance, Green, Act. There's a couple I've never noticed before too: The Bill and Ben Party and The Aotearoa Legalise Cannabis Party. The mind boggles.

Helen's party offers an interest free student loan. The students I have talked to will be voting for the Labour Party for this very reason. It's a smart move for Labour as New Zealanders rarely change their voting choice and these kids will continue to vote for them in the future.

I believe this is one of the major problems with the NZ voting style. We have the 'she'll be right' and 'it's better the devil you know' mentality rather than considering how a change may benefit our country.

Righto, I'm off to tick the boxes. I feel a CHANGE is in the air. Here's hoping my vote will make a difference.

Have a great weekend.

26 comments:

  1. Every Vote makes a difference, just as every 55 makes a difference!

    ReplyDelete
  2. OOOOH baby, I nailed you first on this one...hehehehe

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm here for sloppy seconds!

    Wait. Ew. Never mind.

    I hope you get whatever changes you need. At least I can saw we have gotten ours, as far as I am concerned....

    ReplyDelete
  4. At least you have choices. Several parties. We have a horrible two party system that never gives us anyone to vote for.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yeah, it's true - like, what happened to all the other parties? I think they do exist in some ghostly realm, but it's been a loooong time since any of 'em has been president.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nice change to hear about NZ politics instead of the constant US buzz.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Many Americans voted differently on Tuesday, not in the way that they had voted in the past. Thank goodness!

    ReplyDelete
  8. G - I got the message...my 55 is up now.

    Thanks for stopping by folks. I'm on my way for a visit soon.

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a quiet election compared with .......

    Maybe the 'winds of change' are blowing through NZ too.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Winds of change?

    OH no back to butt sniffing!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I do hope the winds of change nurture flowers and not Autumn leaves!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Change can be good...or bad. I think we have to be willing to change for the better, and resist the other kind with all our being. In politics there is so much give and take. Nobody is ever going to solve mankind's problems so what can we live with, and what can't we. Thanks for writing, because I need to learn more about Australia, and the internet is great that way.

    ReplyDelete
  13. if not in the air,, it is certainly on every tongue these days isn't it???

    ReplyDelete
  14. Maybe change is catching. Good luck. BJ

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a change to read about a different election! Reading this weeks SS posts made me feel a bit of an outsider!

    ReplyDelete
  16. G'day over there. I heard on the news after you posted this that Helen Clarke and her party were ousted. Good luck with the new govt and the chance for change that it brings.Is voting compulsory there as it is here?

    ReplyDelete
  17. This sounds like the Dutch way. So many choices, the mind can boggle there too.

    Good luck ...

    lol

    ReplyDelete
  18. Thanks for all the comments.

    Linda - It's not compulsory here.

    ReplyDelete
  19. You know what they say, 'A change is as good as a rest!'

    Good use of the prompt!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hey KB,

    I am sure your vote will count but more importantly I hope the vote you cast will bring in the change you are hoping for. Good luck to you.

    ReplyDelete
  21. It certainly did count this time. Woohoo!

    ReplyDelete
  22. I am a bit cautius about the new one National is not a people party.
    We will hope the best of it.
    Are you enjoying the sun KB It's great isn't it. I am back to blogging again Couldn't miss it.
    Ka kite ano my dear

    ReplyDelete
  23. Have been busy G but I will do a 55 this week.

    Welcome back Marja.

    ReplyDelete