Pages

Tuesday 30 December 2008

RESOLUTIONS

It's almost time to make my ill-fated New Year resolutions. Every New Year's Eve I eat, drink and party too much. I wake up the next morning with my head in my hands saying never again. I then proceed to make a list of goals. I expect to achieve these milestones just because it's a brand new year. Sound familiar?

I've decided to think about my resolutions early this year before my mind goes hazy from too much drink and convinces me I can achieve anything just because I wrote it down.

In previous years I decided I would become fitter. I come from a family of runners - grandad, mum, dad and auntie. Unfortunately, I missed out on the running gene, much to the amusement of my family.

One of my greatest sporting achievements was never setting foot in the school pool. I became my sports teacher's favourite student. Not because I excelled in sports but because I could always be relied on to deliver his messages as I had forgotten my gym gear AGAIN.

Back in England my favourite sports class was cross country running. My friend Becky and I would lag behind the others until they were out of sight then head back to her place for a smoke and a coffee. We'd keep an eye on the road and tag on at the end with the stragglers.

It was all fun and games at the time but I paid the price later as an adult. I always have to work that much harder to keep up with my friends and family because my body has been trained to be lazy. I love walking and swimming these days and I'm becoming healthier all the time. Where was I going with this story?

Each year my parents run Round The Bays. It's a popular fun run around the Auckland water front. They ask me to participate every year. I think they ask me as a cruel joke but this year I am going to do it. My mother will probably think it's the best joke she's heard all year when I tell her. I'm not sure how much running will be done, it's rather difficult to restrain my bosoms but I'll definitely walk round.

I have in my hot hand the training schedule which looks quite easy actually. The hardest part for me will be being part of a huge crowd. I don't enjoy being around large crowds of people. I was discussing this point recently with some friends and we decided we could always do the walk on a different day - it's completing the goal which is important, not when we do it.



DAY 1

Today's training was a breeze. If I can keep up this regime, I'll be as fit as a fiddle in no time. Today was a rest day. I kid you not, hehe. What on earth does the expression fit as a fiddle mean anyway? How can a fiddle be fit? The mind boggles.

I've rambled on long enough. Wish me luck.

Happy New Year

Love KB
xxx

15 comments:

  1. I will comment when I pick myself up off the floor!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'd love to be a spectator! I used to do cross country - it was the only sport I took part in at school for very much the same reason as you! Happy New Year Karen

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey, you are getting Keith and Whitebait over-heated!I was good at Lacrosse when I was young. Not any more though, although I've still got a bat.

    ReplyDelete
  4. one of my ambitions is to do the bays run (not this year though).As you know I have done the Great North run several times and the bays was Brendan Foster's original inspiration for that.

    I am a little afraid to make any resolutions although Jack (the youngest) has already dacided that we should spend more time chilling together which seems good to me.

    I know you will achieve what you set out to achieve :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. omgoodness we are exactly alike when it comes to running and crowds. in school, i HATED running. we had to run to the bay & back (about a mile) for our 'finals' in p.e. we were lagging (a friend & myself). we got back 15 mins later than everyone else. we stopped at my house since i lived 5 mins from school. when we arrived bk @ school, the p.e. teacher says, 'do you know what can happen to two little girlies out there?' i'm tryin not to laugh in his face. see, he's worried bout how he'd cover his ass if something happened to us cos he took us off campus for p.e. he told us that everyone had gotten bk 15 mins earlier lol got my report card @ end of year. got an A- and a comment 'needs more effort' lol

    i STILL hate to run tho i want to try to build up to running now. i also don't like big crowds. big crowds=too much noise among other things

    anyways, good luck w the training :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good Luck..Happy New Year...Write me a 55 this week...G

    ReplyDelete
  7. That makes a lot of sense Missy. Will post pics soon.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nice to see you Rosey. Happy New Year.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Little Jack is adorable. Give him a ig hug from me.

    ReplyDelete
  10. C - Happy New Year hun. Will you be running too?

    ReplyDelete
  11. Good luck KB and Happy New Year! My resolution is to try and write more and finish the Molly series. Good luck with the running and getting Fit as a Fiddle!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Nice to see you Patti. Still hanging out on the porch?

    ReplyDelete