Pages

Sunday 23 September 2007

Port Vila, Vanuatu



This cruise stop would be my third visit to the beautiful Island of Vanuata. The place has special meaning for hubby and I as it was our honeymoon destination.

A funny thing happened during our first time there. We booked a day trip to Tana to visit the Island's active volcano. The island is remote with a few villages and basic accommodation.

We travelled to Tana on a small plane, the pilot assuring us he would return for us later.

The day was amazing. We were provided with a small meal then taken by four wheel drive to the volcano. I've never seen anything like it - magnificent.

The following hour was spent visiting a local village. The men joined the chief in a Kava drinking ceremony (no women allowed). Kava is a narcotic root with anaesthetic properties. It tastes like dirt, often leaving the drinker with little feeling in the tongue and weakness in the legs. Hubby returned with a huge grin on his face...hehe.

We were dropped back at the airport (I use this term loosely as it resembled a small barn)to wait for our plane. An hour later... we were still waiting.

Luckily, there was a Kiwi bloke at the shack...I mean airport..., he took us under his wing and back to his hotel(I also use this term loosely - the barn springs to mind again). All we had with us were the clothes on our backs, half a packet of cigarettes and a credit card. Our Kiwi friend wined and dined us and gave us a room for the evening. The room didn't have power of any kind. I'm quite thankful actually because if the lights had been on, I would have seen the size of the bugs responsible for the strange clicking and scurrying noises during the night...ewwww. I didn't dare visit the loo. I hate to think what could have been living in there...double ewwwww.

Our pilot came for us the next day. It was nice to get back to running water, electricity and a cumfy bed but I did enjoy our little adventure. Be warned, don't ever go on a trip with me...things like this happen to me all the time.

Anyway, this time around, everything went like clock work. Hubby went diving in the morning, we enjoyed a yummy lunch followed by shopping in Vila. Most pleasant.

Love KB
x

9 comments:

  1. Your posts on your travels are utterly facsinating. I am guilty of the sin of envy! Long may you travel, and keep writing journals such as these!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds to me like Hubby could've flown home without the plane lol.

    As to going on trips with you, I can do better than that. Send me tickets and I will go on the trips FOR you. This is a one time offer and is made out of genuine concern for your welbeing as I hate to think of all the suffering you have to endure.

    As always I am enthralled by your travels.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Blondie!!!! I've found you. Love this blog and love you. My blog is here. I'll add you to my blogroll. You look gorgeous! I'm no longer blonde. I've gone to the redhead side. Hee hee. xox

    ReplyDelete
  4. OMG! Is that Toadee I see?

    ReplyDelete
  5. OMG, my sweet Polli..I've missed you so much. Will add you to my blog roll so we can stay in touch. I almost didn't recognise you with your new hair. Looking beautiful girl.

    Yes, that is our Toadee. I'll let him know where you are in case he doesn't see this comment. I'll bet he misses you too.

    Love you girl
    xxxooo

    ReplyDelete
  6. Keith thank you so much for those kind words. Speaking of sin...*glows with pride*

    lmao Toadee. You are too kind my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Aww thanks Missy hun. I miss hearing your voice too. Will have to get webcam working.

    xxoo

    ReplyDelete
  8. You are a crafty one! I notice that you don't say just what you girls got up to during the drinking ceremony!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Damn, I was hoping I would get away with that wee omission dickiebo.

    ReplyDelete