Pages

Tuesday 20 May 2008

LEST WE FORGET

Came across this little beauty in the local rag.




THE ANZAC STORY



They left behind their families
To travel to Gallipoli, overseas
Waving everybody goodbye
They sigh

As they waded into shore
Circling them was war
Bodies all around them
They die

With crosses at the heads
Of their dirt strewn beds
Poppies all around them
They lie

Mourn they family
And yet, now so do we
On the 25th April
We Cry



-Caitlin Leigh, Auckland, NZ, Aged 11

I must say, it's reassuring to hear youngsters still remember the stories their grandparents have told them about war. Continuing to share these stories - will ensure these brave men and women will not be forgotten.

Which reminds me; I have a war story from my grandad to share...I've been meaning to post it for ages...maybe tomorrow.

10 comments:

  1. that kid has talent and more importantly she is, as you say, keeping the memory alive.
    Many people feel we should forget the wars and that the special days when we remember the dead are a glorification of war. They are not.
    Poems such as Caitlin's remind us of the suffering and the pain, they remind us not to go there again.

    ReplyDelete
  2. KB....
    For some reason My PC locks up when I try and enter your blog through Google...
    Hope to see you try another 55 of Friday...

    ...and another thing, you will never catch me ogling your very formidable ...er 'cans'?

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's a lovely poem. It's great what they do with children nowadays. In my days is was just learning stuff.

    Middle Ditch 14 is now online. Enjoy

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow I have to say I am impressed that an 11 year old took the time to post such a heartfelt article and thanks for posting it KB.

    ReplyDelete
  5. G - The pc is locking up to protect you from blondness that is KB.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Monique - yes, very different from the school you are describing over on your blog, hehe

    ReplyDelete
  7. Glad you liked it Jadey girl

    ReplyDelete