Pages

Monday 4 April 2011

Desert Flower - Waris Dirie




One of my goals this year is to read more books. You can read my reviews and learn where you can purchase any of the books I've read this year here...KB's Bookshelf.

Here's a bit of the blurb from the back cover...

Waris ran away from her desert nomad family at the age of 12 when her father arranged her marriage to a sixty-year-old stranger in exchange for five camels. She escaped through the harsh Somalian desert and travelled to London where she was discovered by a fashion photographer. But she bore with her the harsh memory and real pain of an ancient custom: circumcision, administered to her at the tender age of five.







This is a remarkable, true story which brought me to tears a couple of times. The ordinary to Waris seemed extraordinary to me. This book caused me to reflect on my own life and how lucky I am to have a roof over my head, food in the fridge, fresh water to drink and most of all the right to make my own decisions in life. I'm counting my blessing. Thanks Waris.


Are you reading anything interesting besides my blog?

See you soon
Love KB
xxx

4 comments:

  1. My reading has slowed way down. The last interesting book I read was a couple of months ago - The Hunger Games.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds great! You look just like you did in one of your other reviews, lol. :o)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Mr Snake xxx

    Shelia - that's because it is the same pic :)

    ReplyDelete