Pages

Sunday 6 April 2008

TO BLOG OR NOT TO BLOG

Recently, I was having a discussion and the topic of blogging came up You know the kind of conversation I’m talking about.

Me - I wrote about it on my blog.

Her - What’s a blog?

I tried to explain the concept and she looked at me like I’d lost the plot, her eyes started to glaze over and the following questions were asked.

Why would you want to share such personal information with strangers?

Why do you do it?

Who reads it?


I tried to explain further but to no avail. The final comment was - “Aren’t you worried people will read it and think Karen’s finally lost it, and needs to get a life?”. Arrg, she really didn’t get it.

I’ve kept a personal journal from an early age. I’ve been writing a blog on another site for about three years now. It isn’t a public journal and is available to readers by invite only. Hubby was always asking me what I was writing in there so I decided to keep my original blog for my eyes only and start a public blog . This works really well for me. I still have a place to write my private thoughts…which is like therapy for me. Also, I have a way of keeping in touch with friends and family, which is fantastic as my kids and hubby are often away from home.



I’ve noticed that since I’ve been blogging, I’m more in touch with what’s going on in the world. I pay more attention to conversations and what’s happening around me. I’m more in the moment, as it were.  I’ll be wide awake at four in the morning, staring at the ceiling, thinking of blog titles or ideas I have for posts. I often reach for my notepad and write them down, but can’t for the life of me read what I wrote in the morning - may have something to do with the amount of wine I’ve had at the time.


I wouldn’t be without my wee blog. It’s something I do just for me. Once I start writing, the outside world is lost to me - I’m totally immersed in what I’m doing. It’s like losing yourself in drawing or playing an instrument; the same as any other creative enterprise.


I have the opportunity to say exactly what’s on my mind and state my opinions and ideas without
interruption. I love it, and if I don’t write here or in my journal for a while…my mind starts to feel like it will explode. It’s something I have to do for my sanity - what ever is left of it, that is. Hehe.
 it’s the one place I have where I can put myself first; it’s all about my opinions, my thoughts and I don’t have to worry about anyone else for a while. And, if others enjoy it, that’s a bonus.


13 comments:

  1. We need more of you, not less. Tell hubby not to be so mean. He's got you all the time, we just have you for a moment every now & then! lol.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your blog. Don't stop posting here and you know you have great friends here.

    PLEASE KEEP WRITING!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey - great minds think alike! I've just updated and posted again a piece I wrote on the same subject last year! Take a look!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well, I do enjoy reading your blog and talking to others about my blogs is the same as when you talk to them. Their eyes glaze over. Pity them, I say. More please.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The dog runs fast; you can't follow him with your camera. Next time the dog have to make the video when you runs.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Me thinks you posted this comment in the wrong place Erik *giggles*

    ReplyDelete
  7. I knew you'd understand Mr Snake

    ReplyDelete
  8. Good one Missy. Hope ya feel better soon xxx

    ReplyDelete
  9. I couldn't if I tried Erik, that was kinda my point.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm heading over to middle ditch now. It's nice to know I'm not the only one who goes through this.

    ReplyDelete