Pages

Friday 6 June 2008

FLASH 55 - A PRIVATE ORDEAL

Sometimes I feel anxious inside
Need to escape, run and hide
Hard to move, the walls closing in
Heart pounding, a terrible din
Beginning to sweat now, starting to shake
I knew coming out was a huge mistake
Leaving early ,friends think I'm mad
Hard to explain...
I've missed half the great times we've had

I wrote this poem about five years ago. The original version is much longer but I hope you still understand the meaning. It was a very hard time in my life; I suffered severe anxiety attacks on a daily basis. I had no idea at the time what I was experiencing and I thought I was going quite mad. It got to the stage I couldn't go out anywhere in public without feeling anxious and of course, the more I worried about it, the worse the anxiety became. Luckily, I went to the Doc and she explained to me that what I was going through was very common and I wasn't losing my mind.

It's difficult to explain to someone who hasn't suffered an anxiety attack, what it's like. For me it was like having an outer body experience, I was there but not, as it where. I was so involved with what was going through my mind and the sensations my body was experiencing...reality would blur and all I could think about was removing myself from the situation.

I still have the occasional anxiety attack but they are few and far between. I've accepted the fact, anxiety will always be my 'Achilles heel'

You may be wondering why I am sharing this here. One of the surprising things I learned from all this was, how many people I know who have suffered through anxiety at some stage in their lives. Why didn't they say something? Knowing I wasn't alone would have made the whole experience so much easier for me.

If you suffer from anxiety or know someone who does...talk about it, it truly does help.

Ha, you all thought I called myself Krazy cause I like to act the fool. Well now ya know, I really am a nutter and proud of it.

Love ya
KB
xxxxxxx

18 comments:

  1. great stuff, kb...i totally get your poem, though i do not suffer anxiety attacks *knocks on wood* have you ever been over to Rotten Correspondent's blog? She has had them throughout her life. Her blog is good reading I might add (she doesn't talk about attacks often). http://rottencorrespondent.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I got the meaning immediately. I'm sorry you've felt this way. It must be awful to always wonder when that panic will strike. If it makes you feel any better, you're not alone. But I'm sure you know that.

    -smarmoofus

    ReplyDelete
  3. Whitesnake - You're a Krazzzzzzzzzy nutter too?

    Ciars - thanks I will check out her blog for sure.

    Smarmoofus - Yeah, that's the worst part...not knowing when you will experience the panic or why.

    ReplyDelete
  4. KB...
    Thanks for sharing this little part of you with us..xoxo
    Also I just LOVE the hair!!!!
    Great 55, thanks for playing...
    You are sooo awesome Karen!!!
    G...xo

    ReplyDelete
  5. You know me, G, all about the sharing. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  6. The first time I realised KB had a problem was at the Hamilton Fieldays - I was looking for a high capacity pump for our house water supply. We had been inside the gates about 15 mins., when I realised I could no longer feel anything in my left arm. KB was gripping my arm so tight, she had cut off the blood supply. I asked her what was wrong, and she said "I think I am having a heart attack". "Bullshit" I said, but I decided it was best to take her back to the car.
    She rapidly improved. I bought the pump. Could suck a golf ball through a garden hose. Like a Hong Kong hooker.
    But I got my girl back. Through a combo of therapists and drugs, she is now the lass I depend upon. She's off the pharmaceuticals, and is a better person for it.
    Love you, KB.
    Hubby

    ReplyDelete
  7. a touching 55, KB. My wife also suffers from Anxiety attacks. It took a long time and a lot of visits with our doctor before she felt as if she had regained a sense of balance.

    ReplyDelete
  8. thanks for sharing something so personal. it certainly can't be easy.

    ReplyDelete
  9. You summed the feeling up perfectly in 55 words. I'm pleased to hear you don't have many attacks now. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ah! I can identify! That is a panic attack really! & They really make you miss out on half the fun in your life!

    Wonderful 55 KB!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hubby - I remember that day vividly.
    Thanks for your support, I know it hasn't been easy for you either xxx

    Missy - I'm so happy you are part of my life. You're like the big sis I never had x

    Thank you for all your lovley comments. I'll be stopping by to check your 55s soon xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh KB if you ever want to talk you know you can count on me. Being in the medical field I see numerous patients who suffer with this it wasn't until two and a half years ago right before my dad passed away that I really truly understood what it felt like to have one and it is no fun. So you are not alone and I too still experience them just not as frequent.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks, Jadey and I'm sorry to hear about your Father x

    ReplyDelete
  14. I seem to remember reading the longer version and you have done a wonderful job of shortening it without losing anything of the sensitivity and clarity.

    I really feel that I understand wher eyou are coming from in fact you put this up around the time I was having a particularly bad 'do' spooky eh?
    Anyway, it helped which is only right because you are that sort of person (the sort that helps) x

    ReplyDelete
  15. ((((((Toadee))))) hope you are feeling OK now and thanks for the support. Where are you?

    ReplyDelete
  16. I'm here. want a game of hide and seek lol

    ReplyDelete
  17. Sorry I missed ya again Toadee. Haven't been online much since I've been back. Missed ya xxx

    ReplyDelete