Pages

Saturday 27 June 2009

LITTLE GIRL LOST AND BOOKS READ THIS MONTH

LITTLE GIRL LOST


I turn to talk to my mother but where has she gone? The market is crowded but I’ve never felt so alone. The hustle and bustle continues around me as I stand glued to the spot. How will she ever find me in this noise and confusion? I panic as I see the unending tide of strangers surrounding me. They tower above me, making me feel insignificant. A hand reaches out , I entrust it with my escape. Mum finally arrives at the market office to take me home. The terror I've felt is mirrored in her face. She folds me up in her warm embrace and I am safe once again.


WORST READ OF THE MONTH

It’s unusual for me to start a book and not finish but this one was giving me a headache. I think she is trying to hard. What do you think?

An excerpt from – The Transit of Venus by Shirley Hazzard

By nightfall the headlines would be reporting devastation. It was simply that the sky, on a shadeless day, suddenly lowered itself like an awning. Purple silence petrified the limbs of trees and stood crops upright in the field like hair on end. Whatever there was of fresh white paint sprang out from downs or dunes, or lacerated a roadside with a streak of fencing. This occurred shortly after midday on a summer Monday in the South of England.

Shirley Hazzard was born in Sydney and is the author of the award winning - The Great Fire but definitely not my cup of tea.


BOOKS READ DURING JUNE

14. The Meaning Of Night - Michael Cox
15. Windfall - Penny Vincenzi
16. B Is For Burglar - Sue Grafton


I've started another book but don't think my chances of finishing it this month are very good.


Not much to report today. Looking forward to All Blacks/Italy tonight. Here's hoping they do a better job than last week.
Later gators
xxx


P.S. My dear friend Missy has asked me to contibute a story to her Melting Pot.





Hope you likey.

KB
xxx

6 comments:

  1. Missy - Yes it is. They are good, easy reading. I think I have read some Nora Roberts too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a nice little girl story and I recognise the terror as I lost my son than 3 in a mall when we were just in NZ
    and about the venus story I am imagining now how purple silence can petrify limbs of trees
    These tree limbs must be cowards

    ReplyDelete
  3. Seems u finish reading books very fast...i really take hell of a time to finish them!!!

    Right now m still trying to finish Conversation with God!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. My last read was Natl. Geographic- good article on New Zealand this month!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good book reviews.
    From the way the second quote reads I wouldn't like that book either.
    I have a pile I promised myself I would get through this summer and I haven't made a dent.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Marja - I thought that line was bizarre too.

    Nazish - I love to read. Never enough hours in the day for reading.

    Buff - Bet you just like looking at the pics.

    Dr John - Get to it.

    ReplyDelete