Pages

Thursday 1 July 2010

Healthy Living

Quote of the day

The body is a sacred garment. It's your first and last garment; it is what you enter life in and what you depart life with, and it should be treated with honour.
- Martha Graham: A Dancer's Life   


Healthy Living

I can't believe it's July already, how did that happen? Half way through the year and all I can think about is how unfit I am :( Whitesnake found a new walking track which is near our house. He's taken Coco there often,  I thought it was about time I tried it out.  It's the perfect length for a daily walk and includes uphill and downhill. I felt a little out of breath on parts of the track, not so bad that I couldn't talk (so it's all good). I thought I was doing quite well until Steve informed me he usually runs up there with Coco. I was not impressed with myself, Steve's older than me, smokes, drinks and eats fatty food and he's STILL fitter than me. Not to matter, I'll be running up there after him in no time, hehe.  

As Steve is always reminding me; I shouldn't beat myself up about the things I can't or haven't done yet but focus on the positive actions I've taken. He's very wise. Let's see, on the health front, I'm walking more than I was, I'm taking less medication for my acid reflux, eating more veges and I've cut down on my alcohol by half. That's pretty good for a couple of month's work. *pats self on back*

I'm going to make health my main focus again this month. My top three priorities are:


- Knowing my numbers

I have a health check annually so I'm aware of where my health is at but I don't have a record of what my results are. I think it's a good idea to note them down so I can mark my progress. I'll record the results I am aware of for now, and ask my Dr for the others when I see him next month.


- Alcohol reduction

I've come so far already with this. My goal for this month is to have no more than 2 standard drinks in one session. Which means I'll be within the 'safe' limit for me. Wow, I've come a long way from drinking a bottle a night to one drink a night. I never thought I'd be able to do it but it was quite easy once I'd made the decision. What a difference being happy in my life can make. I've had all my blood work tested and my liver and everything else is fine. I'm so thankful I could do something about my drinking before any serious damage was done.


- Exercise

This is my biggest struggle because vigorous exercise brings on similar symptoms to a panic attack.In the past, when I was out on a long hike, I would experience shortness of breath, rapid heart beat etc and I thought I was going to have a heart attack, when in fact, I was fine and experiencing a panic attack. Sounds so silly when I write it down but it can be a terrifying experience. Whenever I reach for my walking shoes, there's the fear in the back of my mind of having a panic. At the moment I am walking twice a week, I will increase this to 4-5 times a week including twice a week on the steeper track to really get my heart working.


Well, that should keep me out of too much mischief this month.


KB's World

Everything is going well. Steve and I are feeling much more settled and happy as ever. I'm looking forward to picking him up from work, followed by 3 hours of Survivor on telly. That will keep me smiling but I'm not sure how happy Steve will be about it, hehe.

Take care, stay healthy.
Love KB
XXX



What I'm grateful for in this moment
 -my body for putting up with all the crap I've given it in the past. 


Coming up... Coco's World 


Recommended Reading









         

4 comments:

  1. Woohoo! I'm proud of you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Missy - You are an inspiration to me. Every time I vist your blog and see how far you've come, I say Wow!

    ((((((DL))))) thanks hun.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My advice for you is to walk daily and later you can start with trying to run three times each week. Start slowly but don't give up.

    We all need exercise for a healthy living but if you prefer other exercises, for example swimming you maybe choose this.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Erik - I think I will stick with the walking...for now.

    ReplyDelete