Pages

Monday 28 January 2019

Happy Anniversary Day, Auckland

Hi my friends,
Whitesnake and I are enjoying a relaxing long weekend as Auckland celebrates Anniversary Day. The actual Auckland Anniversary Day is tomorrow - 29th January,  but today is a public holiday so Auckland can enjoy a long weekend. 



Auckland Harbour - Photo Source KB
I've been thankful to have the day off every year since I moved to New Zealand, without really knowing much about it . As I moved here in 1984, I decided it was long overdue that I  I learned about what I was celebrating. So here goes...
Explorer and first governor of New Zealand - William Hobson arrived in New Zealand in 1840 and signed a treaty with the Maori people, which led to New Zealand becoming a new British colony. Hobson founded Auckland later the same year and named it the capital of New Zealand. A small regatta was held in Auckland that year and by the following year, the regatta and Auckland Anniversary Day, (the date Hobson first spotted New Zealand) was established. 
Apparently,  'the regatta is the largest one-day event of its kind in the world and is the central attraction of Auckland Anniversary Day.'  I found very interesting as I live in Auckland and don't remember hearing anything about this large event but Goggle informs me of these facts, so it must be true! 
So instead of attending the regatta with our fellow Aucklanders, Whitesnake and I made our own fun. Drinks, home made pizza and laughs were shared with a friend on Friday night.  I knew I'd had a fabulous night the following morning when it took me a few seconds to remember how to drive my car.

Last night didn't go as well, I drank too much wine and yelled at my husband for no reason. My husband is the kindest, most generous. loving person on the planet so as you can imagine, I'm feeling incredibly guilty and have vowed to never drink the evil red wine again.  


I intend to spend the rest of the long weekend grovelling, relaxing and NOT touching a drop of red wine. 
Happy Anniversary Day, Auckland!
Love KB
x

17 comments:

  1. I love you for better or worse. XXXX

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh nice to have the day of with that heat. Interesting information Auckland day. I can't handle wine anymore Two glasses is already too much for me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy anniversary to you both!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy Auckland day! Enjoy your day!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy Anniversary Day, Auckland!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy Auckland day! Enjoy the day, have fun!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Happy NZ Anniversary and happy long weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  8. many years ago I visited NZ, both islands. Would love to go back but don´t have the means to do it :( I loved your country.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hello, pretty view of the harbor. Happy Auckland Day! New Zealand is on our list of places to visit, now we need to save the money to get there, lol. Have a happy day and week ahead.

    ReplyDelete
  10. We Aussies have just enjoyed a long weekend, too...for our Australia Day (26th January) celebrations! :)

    Happy Auckland Day to you! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oops, left the comment in the wrong post, anyway, pizza and wine go so good together and don't grovel too much, it's not good for the soul. If I drink red wine my face and chest turn blotchy and scarlet and I get a hangover in advance. But I would if I could.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Happy Anniversary. Yes, that New Zealand wine is pretty good isn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  13. Happy Belated Auckland Anniversary.
    I'm glad your husband is so forgiving. He sounds like a really nice person. Limiting the amount of red wine sounds like it worth the sacrifice because a good relationship is worth keeping.
    The pizza and wine sound delicious.
    Take care, Hugs, Julia

    ReplyDelete
  14. It sounds like the way we celebrate Taranaki Day!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wine is not something that agrees with me so I'm safe there but I had to work Anniversary day unfortunately.

    ReplyDelete