Pages

Saturday 5 July 2008

LAND AT LAST - FIRST STOP, SUVA, FIJI






I'm so blonde, I published these holiday posts out of order. Must have had a lot of wine at the time (for a change)

Bula! Welcome to Fiji.

The Republic of Fiji, consists of 322 formed Islands. It's one of the most populous island groups in the Pacific, with approximately 900,000 inhabitants.

For hundreds of years, Fiji was a land torn by intertribal skirmishes. As in many p arts of the Pacific, cannibalism was practised there.

The first European to sigh Fiji was Abel Tasman in 1643. Captain James Cook sighted more of the islands in 1774.

Suva is the nation's capital city and has a population of around 360,000.

Hubby and I didn't spend much time ashore. The place was too smelly, hot and crowded for KB. The locals would pop out of nowhere and try to persuade us to go with them to find 'bargains'. I swear if one more local had grabbed me by the arm and tried to sell me something, I would have hit him with my handbag. Time to go back to the safety of the ship and drink more wine, hehe!




USELESS FACT OF THE DAY - The plate washing brigade on board wash approximately 12,500 plates, 10,000 glasses (mainly mine) and 15000 items of cutlery every day.

6 comments:

  1. for minute there thought I was on Eriks blog......whoops!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Missy - Wow, you were fast girl. I posted, took off the pic you mentioned (cause I didn't like it) and you'd already posted.


    WS - You been visiting Erik in the prison again?

    ReplyDelete
  3. hmmm smelly marketers...yeah, best to stay away from those types! though i do love a good bargain...i'm not sure a 'bargain' is what they'd be showing me lol

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yeah it wasn't very nice at all

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am not in prison. Have you seen me there in prison? The prision in Alcatraz is empty but can be visited by tourists.

    Beautiful pictures of your travel. I think you had a nice time.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Erik - I know hun, I'm pulling ya leg x

    ReplyDelete