Pages

Tuesday 22 July 2008

MEN HAVE ALL THE FUN, FOLLOWED BY RAMBLINGS



It's been raining here in Auckland (or as I like to call it - DUCKland) for days. Every time I put on my shoes to take Coco for her walk, the rain poured down again. I decided to take a walk on the treadmill instead.



Coco came to see what I was up to and proceeded to spend half an hour staring at my feet. I couldn't stop laughing, I could imagine what she was thinking...

"Why is Mum walking without me? Why are her feet moving but she's not going anywhere?

Speaking of exercise - it's almost time for my annual check up with the Doc. He's been my doc for about eight years and he's the best one I've ever had. Last time I saw him he was pleased I was off all my meds and well, that hasn't happened for a long time so I was pleased too, woohoo!. He weighed me - hate that part. He told me my weight was fine but (isn't there always a but?), I'd been steadily putting on a little weight each year since I'd given up smoking and he wouldn't want me to gain any more. He put it in a nicer way than that but I knew what he was saying.

Next came my favourite question (NOT), how much was I drinking? I used to lie through my teeth when this one came up but I decided it was time to fess up. The Dr almost fell off his chair when I replied. He informed me that I was consuming the equivalent of what was suggested for a man to be drinking and since I was clearly NOT a man, I should cut back by at least half. Bugga, men have all the fun!

Luckily for me, my eldest step-daughter is a personal trainer. She asked me to keep a diary of what I ate and drank for a week. She told me I was eating too many carbs and not enough protein. Which was true, I love spuds, bread and pasta. When hubby was away I tended to live on noodles and beans on toast. She made up a food plan for me and stuck it on the fridge. She also worked out an exercise programme for me...bless her.

One of things I've learnt from these changes is how much the food and drink I consume affects my mood. I have suffered with depression on and off for years so I have to make sure I look after myself physically which in turn improves my emotional well being. I woke up this morning feeling tired and grumpy. I thought back to what I'd been eating and drinking for the last week or so and how often I'd been walking. Hmmmm, too much pizza and wine me thinks. The last thing I wanted to do was get on the treadmill but I did. I cooked myself a healthy dinner too and now I feel so much better.

I'm happy to report I've lost 4kgs in the last year and have cut down on drinking. I still want to lose a little more weight and cut back even more on the red wine but I'm pleased so far. Hopefully the Doc will be too. Wish me luck!

Which reminds me of something else. I'm such a rambler today. A fellow blogger recently asked me why I sometimes talk about personal stuff on my blog and did I do it for sympathy. It wasn't said in a nasty way, just an onbservation. It's been on my mind for some time so I thought maybe there was some truth in it. I do like the attention but anyone who writes on a blog must be the same way, if they didn't want to share stuff...they would make their writing private.

I love my blog, I write about topics which interest me, experiences I've had in life. Writing what's on my mind is like therapy for me some days. Sometimes I share my thoughts and other days I post them privately.

Why shouldn't I write about my anxiety and depression? It's nothing to be ashamed of. One of the reasons I was depressed was because I was trying to be something I wasn't, I was trying to be what was expected of me. The therapist I saw explained to me that the anxiety attacks I was experiencing were part experiences I had been through and part hereditary. I was trying to be perfect so as not to upset others. Keeping all those emotions inside had to come out some how and in my case, they came out in the form of anxiety. It wasn't until I started talking to people about my problems that I learned of the history of depression and anxiety in my family. If someone had told me at my lowest point that I wasn't alone, that other people experienced these things and it was OK to be me, well, I think things would have turned out differently. Maybe sharing my experiences here will help someone else realise they are not alone.

Working through these things (with the support from my family and friends) has made me the person I am today, it's part of who I am. I've accepted this and feel much more comfortable speaking my mind. I'm not going to change who I am for others. If you don't like what I share...read something else!

Righto, that was a long ramble, I'm not sure if it will make much sense to anyone else but I feel much better for it.

25 comments:

  1. All this talk of treadmills, healthy eating and cutting down on the juice of the grape made me reach for my Merlot! Scary stuff indeed! But I am very impressed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great. You are just brave talking about it and it will only help others because many go through periods like this. I did. I eat when i am stressed so I would love a personal trainer to get me on track. You are doing a great job girl. Keep it up.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great onbservations, KB, hoho.

    KB. Listen. No doctors or diets necessary. Simply this - get your arse of the sofa - regularly. Rain hail or shine my Boys get walked. "I can't walk cos it's raining" is a cop out and you know it.

    I told Morgy the same thing (she ignored me too). Walk a minimum of 3 miles every time and ensure there's a hill included. Get your heart pumping. See "anatomy of a heart attack" for the reason why.

    Yeah, and stay off the piss, y'wino!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Keith - Don't worry hun I'll always had a red with YOU!
    Have you been in the cafe recently? I popped in last night and almost died of boredom x

    Marja - I knew you would understand Marja because of the way you share also. You keep up the good work too x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dr Muttars - How did I know you would have something to say about this one? Somtimes you make me so mad I could throttle you but your comments made me grin this time. I'm just glad you didn't tell me to get off my FAT arse, hehe!

    Why would Morgy and I listen to your advice? You'd miss having someone to lecture. Besides, we are girls, we can't go out in the rain cause it would mess up our hair :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. kb-talking about your anxiety and such helps people. sod the person who told you you're just looking for attention.


    as for dr. mutters-there are some people who struggle day-to-day to just FUNCTION. i'm one of them. until i had my thyroid meds adjusted, i had to take 3 or 4 hour naps just to make it through the day. i also have trouble sleeping. i've started back w the exercise (belly dance, dance dance revolution w the kids, etc.), but there are still days when i'm totally rundown, my body aches everywhere, and i haven't even done anything yet. also, some people with anxiety find it hard to function at times, too...some have it so bad it's debilitating. i don't make excuses, i just know what i can and can't do.

    anywhoooo-kb, you just keep doing what ya doing, girl :) i'll still come and read...i offer nothing but support & friendship. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  7. C - Thank you for the support. I know you have your ups and downs too and I agree talking about it helps us.

    As for M, he's not an actual Dr, I just call him that when he swings by to wind me up :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. i knew he wasn't a dr. LOL i just referred to him as that cuz you did :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. LuUcky I didn't call him Mr Grumpy as I sometimes do x

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sometimes others will NEVER understand where you are coming from no matter how ya try.

    It really is all about expressing your own self.....sometimes people like it sometimes people dont.

    When they don't they will put you down and if you handle it correctly there may be pain but it will make you a better person.
    For what it is worth, i love ya just the way you are.

    Get a friggin' smile on ya dial otherwise I'll kick that cute ass from Cape Reinga to Buff or if necessary to the south west cape of Stewart Island.

    ReplyDelete
  11. LOL I'm smiling for sure

    Love ya ya crazy snake
    x

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great news, KB! You have been such a good girl, that Dickiebo has visited you and - the results are under 'Chortles' on my blog. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Dickie - I wonuldn't go that far.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Found it Dickie...loved it!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Well Ciara (capitals missus, capitals!! This isn't phone text), we all have bad days. Some worse than others.

    Four letters:

    LICS, or LYCS in your case. (KB has another one but it's a secret, right KB? Heh heh).

    Of course having a bona fide medical complaint is a different matter of a sort but regardless - there is always someone worse off.

    P.S. I've seen your hair, KB. Would getting it wet make a difference?? Hoho.

    Dr Muttars W.A.N. K.E.R.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh, and btw, KB:

    FOWFROTBATYLDWY!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. The only person allowed to insult my hair is ME, you should know that by now!

    You're in fine form M.

    LICT (I'd almost forgotten about that)

    FROWFROTBATY...B...DWY

    ReplyDelete
  18. Worry not - grumpiness calls.

    ReplyDelete
  19. That was fast M...even for you

    ReplyDelete
  20. KB it makes perfect since. This is your home away from home. It is your thoughts and I love to hear what is going on with you. Through the good times and the bad that is what us friends are here for. Here here to saying if someone had told you at your lowest point that you weren't alone, so many people are afraid to talk about anxiety and depression if you bottle it up you can't get help and if you can't get help you can't get better. I too have had my share of anxiety. I have pulled through it and wish anyone who has ever had an anxiety or depression issue all the luck in the world don't hide. Also I couldn't possibly give up pizza lol.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Missy - It's all good

    Jadey - I"m am never giving up Pizza!

    ReplyDelete
  22. I'm sure I've told you before how much you have helped me with my own depression and anxiety.
    I believe that the way in which you share your feelingsd and experiences is a great example and that far from looking for sympathy you are using your experiences and sensitivity to support and help others.

    I have to say that this ramble has greatly upset me because i now feel totally inadequate in terms of exercise.

    You rock hun, don't ever change from the near perfect person you are ;) x

    ReplyDelete
  23. Well you must be virtually suicidal after Dean's men fair whalloped the Mighty Blacks.

    Been 5 years since they lost 2 in a row.

    Mind you, a per usual, the Wobblies had luck. One of the Blacks (can't remember which one) was tackled without the ball.
    It was a sure try if he'd been left alone.

    There's 3 to go.

    And it was a good hard game so that's all that matters really.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Toadee - You've helped me too xxx

    ReplyDelete