Pages

Friday 22 August 2008

BIG LOVE

Don't you just love it when you have a strong opinion on a topic, you think you can never be swayed and then you see or hear something which makes your mind start ticking and thinking...maybe things aren't so black and white after all.

I've always had strong views on men having relationships with more than one women. I refer to men in this case, as it relates to the rest of my story. So before you start having a go...I realise women do it too. I'm referring to old men with multiple, young, girlfriends or polygamists with multiple wives. I used to get on my high horse and say, "That's disgusting. It's just wrong. Those women are being taken advantage of. How could they do that?" That kind of thing.

I recently saw an ad on telly for 'The Girls Next Door' and immediately though, Yuck but I decided to have a look as I'm always interested in how people with different opinions to myself tick. It's a show about Hugh Hefner and his THREE girlfriends.

I was quite surprised. It's not exactly television for rocket scientists. Those girls take blondeness to a whole new level. What surprised me was the way these four people interact. Hugh obviously loves his girls very much. He appears supportive, nurturing, loving and treats them with the utmost respect. The girls adore him and it seems the feelings are mutual.

I also saw an ad for 'Big Love'. This show is fiction, one man married to three women. I closed my eyes through most of the first episode because the idea of polygamy made me cringe. It's an unconventional relationship but it works for them. I find it fascinating and haven't missed an episode since.

What I find interesting is; Hugh has three girlfriends under the same roof but marrying all three would be illegal. What's the difference?

The polygamists portrayed in 'Big Love' have to hide away even though they all love each other and let's face it with that many mums...the kids are never going to be without a babysitter . Unlike some families these days who seem to think children can raise themselves and don't need supervision.

I couldn't share my man in this way but it started me thinking. Some people marry and treat their spouse like they are a piece of dirt on their shoe, others beat their significant other and abuse their children. What gives them the right to marry and others who cherish, love and respect their families not?

As long as they are adults, happy and not hurting anyone...I wish them all the best.

13 comments:

  1. kb-the main girlfriend, holly, from the girls next door, would LOVE to get married to hef. it is her ultimate goal, but he's been married twice already and i don't think he wants to go down that road again. i think i read somewhere he wanted to bring a new girl in, but i don't think the other three are gonna let that happen! LOL

    as for polygamy...i'm guessing in Big Love their mormon? some religions do have where you can have multiple wives. for the most part, the mormon faith has done away w polygamy, but there are some sects who still believe in. as a matter of fact, there was just a big to-do over a sect here in the u.s....multiple wives, some in their teens, and tons of kids.

    carrying on w several partners is a no go especially if not everyone knows about the other people. hope to heck that people participating in stuff like this are protecting themselves.

    i know that i could NEVER share my man w anyone. i'm too jealous for that. luckily, stinky doesn't like sharing either. :) LOL

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am finding it interesting the different topics the boys and girls show up for, hehe!

    Great points from both of you ladies.


    I see I may have to check my spelling. Often, when I get totally into what I'm writing about, I forget to spellcheck. Where is Muttars...I mean my dictionary when I need it :)

    I must admit...I'm getting addicted to my daily dose of - The girls next door. They have me in stiches.

    P.S Yes, they are mormans, C.

    ReplyDelete
  3. and.....ride their bikes with boobs bared, of course. lol.

    ReplyDelete
  4. LMAO Dickie, I almost choked on my wine. Isn't the world a more fun place through my eyes...

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'll drink to that, Blondie!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes, i read an aticle on polyamory a few weeks ago and it made me think differently. Perhaps it is possible to truly love more than one person and as you say, if all parties are happy then it's better than many marriages.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Toadee - You've been reading again?

    ReplyDelete
  8. just need a little help with anything over one syllible

    ReplyDelete
  9. One woman is defintely enough!

    ReplyDelete