Pages

Tuesday 21 December 2010

KB's Bookshelf

30 days to a happier, healthier me - day 9




I love to read but I haven't been reading as much as I used to. I really miss it. I read a total of 15 books last year which is way down on the amount of previous years. Some of the books I read last year were quite big actually so maybe that explains the drop. My reading goal for next year is to set aside half an hour a day (minimum) for reading and to read 20 books (minimum).





I'm starting to accumulate books again and we really don't have the room for so many. I'm part of a club - Bookcrossing, which encourages readers to swap books and leave others in public places for strangers to pick up. Each book has a code which we enter online and each person who receives the book will hopefully make a record of it at Bookcrossing too and this way we can track where are books are. It's a wonderful feeling when you discover you made the day of a complete stranger or friend just by passing on a book.

I'll continue to leave books and pass them on to friends but I also though of another way of sharing my books. I'm thinking of making a competition for my readers. I'll put all the names of people who comment on my blog into a hat and draw a winner each month. I realise not all my readers would be interested in receiving a free book as a prize so I'm gonna come up with some other ideas too.  Perhaps you have some ideas for me?

The rest of my 30 days is going well, I went on an extra walk last week, tried a new recipe and went walkabout. Didn't have any alcohol free nights last week and drank over my limit but already had one alcohol free night last night. Been eating heaps of fruit and veggies too and I'm feeling really good.

Anyway, that's all from me today.

See you tomorrow for One Shot.

Love KB
xxx

You can see the previous 30 days to a happier, healthier me here and the books I've read so far here.

6 comments:

  1. I think the idea of passing the books around, even to complete strangers is a fantastic idea. Considering how few English there are on the islands and probably how fewer readers there are, lol, it probably wouldn't work too well here.
    Wynn

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is so weird because I was just thinking of leaving some of my own books for strangers. I was thinking maybe on a bus. Or in a coffee shop. Or doctors office. So this is very ironic that you mentioned this, and I LOVE the idea!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bookcrossing sounds really cool!

    ReplyDelete
  4. love your resolve to read more next year! best wishes!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Where I work we do a local book crossing type of activity called book stop. Basically when you are done with a book then you leave it at a bookstop for someone else to travel with it..

    Very useful and although not as interesting as bookcrossing it is still a good thing to do with unwanted or read books.

    Happy Christmas to you and Whitesnake xxx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Glad you all love the book swaping idea. Merry Christmas x

    ReplyDelete